Ivan Ozerov / Stocksy
If you happen to’re a cat mum or dad who’s contemplating bringing a brand new kitten into the house, or for those who’ve already adopted one, you’re possible questioning how finest to introduce your resident cat to their new member of the family. Introducing a new kitten to a resident cat could be difficult, and, relying on the cats’ ages and personalities, it could take days or months to take action efficiently. Nevertheless, it’s vital to introduce cats slowly and punctiliously to stop aggression or combating.
Beneath are some tips and useful tricks to get your new feline members of the family off to a superb begin and hopefully on their approach to turning into finest buddies for the remainder of their lives.
Methods to Select a New Kitten to Convey House
When you have but to undertake a brand new kitten, take into account that most cat specialists suggest introducing a new cat who matches the resident cat’s power stage, measurement, and character. Bringing residence a kitten when you’ve got a senior or low-key grownup cat could be like asking a grandparent to babysit a toddler 24/7: The kitten shall be unhappy not having a playmate, and the older cat shall be confused by the kitten asking to play always.
In actual fact, kittens are a lot happier in pairs, so for those who’re set on adopting a kitten, take into account adopting two. It could appear overwhelming, nevertheless it may really be the very best resolution for everybody, because the kittens will play with one another and depart your grownup cat to do their very own factor. Adopting two kittens may even assist them keep away from Single Kitten Syndrome.
Some cat specialists additionally imagine that gender performs a small position in how two cats will get alongside and counsel two males or a male/feminine match work finest. Neutering and spaying all cats, ideally two to 4 weeks earlier than the introduction, can also be important so they’re absolutely recovered.
Irrespective of which new kitten or cat you convey residence, although, it’s vital to comply with the steps beneath to efficiently introduce them to your resident cat.
Methods to Introduce a New Cat to Your Cat
Step One: Isolation
Confine the brand new cat to 1 room with a litter field, meals, water, and a mattress. Feed your present cat(s) and the newcomer on both aspect of the door to this room. Don’t put the meals so near the door that the cats are too upset by one another to eat. It will assist to start out issues out on the correct foot by associating one thing gratifying (consuming) with every others’ presence. Steadily transfer the dishes nearer to the door till the cats can eat calmly immediately on both aspect.
You may also think about using the crate technique, which basically replaces a separate room with a really giant crate, which is very useful for those who reside in an area that doesn’t have an sufficient separate room.
When you have adopted the brand new cat from an setting the place they may have been uncovered to sicknesses, similar to a shelter or the road, comply with your vet’s suggestions in the course of this isolation. Usually your vet will check for FeLV and FIV after which suggest isolation for seven to 10 days. That will appear to be a very long time, nevertheless it is not going to solely hold your resident cat wholesome but in addition give your new cat an opportunity to get adjusted to their setting’s sounds and smells, enhancing the possibilities that the primary face-to-face introduction together with your resident cat(s) will go properly.
Step Two: Scent / Signal Intro
After your new cat’s isolation interval is over, and also you’re positive your new cat is wholesome, you’ll be able to take the next steps. Advance to the subsequent step solely in spite of everything cats are okay with one another throughout every step.
- Swap sleeping blankets between the brand new cat and resident cat(s) to allow them to turn out to be accustomed to one another’s scent. Additionally, put the scented blankets beneath the meals dishes.
- Use two doorstops to prop open the door simply sufficient to permit the cats to see one another however not get out and repeat the feeding course of.
- Put the brand new cat in a safe cat provider, and open the door so the resident cat can are available and sniff across the new cat’s room whereas the cat is within the provider.
- Confine resident cats in one other room and let the brand new cat discover the remainder of the home. This change additionally permits the cats to expertise one another’s scent with out a face-to-face assembly. It additionally permits the newcomer to turn out to be aware of their new environment with out being frightened by different animals.
Step Three: First Assembly
Open the isolation room door, let your resident cat enter, and calmly observe. Taking part in calming music or speaking in a peaceful, pleasant voice to the cats could enable you really feel much less confused, which is able to assist the cats, too. In case your cats like treats, give them a lot of treats together with verbal reward. Some cats do finest if distracted with their favourite toys, so they don’t seem to be focusing too intently on one another.
When the cats are collectively, hold a watch out for the next warning indicators:
- Hissing, puffy tails, and growling: Somewhat little bit of this conduct is regular however must be minimal when you’ve got taken the time to comply with the steps above. Don’t give your cats the chance to accentuate; you are attempting to keep away from the cats associating one another’s presence with fearful or aggressive conduct. A nasty first impression could be tough to vary.
- Fearful or aggressive reactions: If both cat escalates their conduct to fixed hissing or growling, or if there may be any stalking (like they’re searching prey), cornering, swatting, or huge posturing shows of arched backs and fur puffed out, separate the cats again into their very own areas instantly. If it was only a hissing match, wait just a few hours and check out one other face-to-face assembly for a couple of minutes. If the aggression appeared severe, you might have to take a step or two again within the introduction course of.
If the assembly goes properly, let the cats spend as much as 10 minutes collectively (though much less time is okay, too). Then separate them again into their very own areas. Letting them keep whether it is going properly could be tempting, however it’s a lot better to not push it and have the primary assembly finish badly.
Laura Stolfi / Stocksy
How can I stop aggressive conduct throughout introductions?
The above technique of slowly introducing your resident cat to a brand new cat will do so much to assist cut back aggression. Whenever you attain the step of a face-to-face introduction, it’s possible you’ll need to have a water squirt bottle in a single hand and a blanket within the different in case that you must intervene in a sudden assault. Supervise their interactions carefully always, and be affected person. It could take a while for the 2 cats to turn out to be pals, however most cats can study to reside collectively peacefully with time and endurance.
Step 4: Slowly Enhance Time Collectively
In case your cats efficiently spend as much as 10 minutes collectively, you’ll be able to enhance their time collectively. For instance, your classes would possibly enhance to 2 classes of 10 minutes every on day two.
Proceed to watch your cats vigilantly, nevertheless, as a result of generally a gathering will appear to be going properly, after which there’s a spat. If a small spat happens between the cats, do not try and bodily intervene; cats could make a lot of noise and roll round fairly dramatically with out both cat being injured. As an alternative, use a twig bottle to squirt water on the cats to separate them. If that doesn’t do it, strive tossing a blanket over one in all them and rapidly corralling the opposite cat out of the room. Give them each an opportunity to relax for a day or extra earlier than re-introducing them to one another.
When can I take into account the introduction course of profitable?
You possibly can take into account the introduction course of profitable once you observe indicators exhibiting that the cats are getting alongside, similar to greeting one another by sniffing or touching noses, headbutting or rubbing towards one another, grooming one another, and, after all, snuggling and sleeping collectively.
Extra New Cat Ideas
When you’ve made it by way of the introduction course of, there are nonetheless some issues you are able to do to make sure your cats proceed to get alongside, together with:
- Hold the second litter field within the isolation room even after the cats are out collectively. Ensure that not one of the cats are being “ambushed” by one other whereas making an attempt to make use of the litter field.
- If you wish to transfer the second litter field, accomplish that progressively, just a few ft at a time, to the brand new location.
- Clear all litter containers extra continuously.
- Enhance the quantity of playtime and train each cats are getting to assist expend their power and hold them calm.
- Hold the resident cat’s schedule as shut as potential to what it was earlier than the newcomer’s look.
- Attempt utilizing calming merchandise to assist de-stress cats who exhibit indicators of stress.
FAQ (Individuals Additionally Ask)
How lengthy ought to I wait to introduce my cat to a brand new kitten?
Introducing a brand new kitten to a resident cat could be difficult, and, relying on the cats’ ages and personalities, it could take days or months to take action efficiently. Observe the above steps for a gradual introduction.
What if the cats nonetheless aren’t getting alongside after prolonged efforts?
In case your cats nonetheless aren’t getting alongside after prolonged efforts, it’s best to take into account consulting a veterinarian to find out if underlying medical points are at play, and/or a licensed cat behaviorist. If the difficulty actually can’t be resolved, you would possibly take into account rehoming your cat through Rehome by Undertake a Pet.
What are the warning indicators when introducing cats?
Warning indicators when introducing cats embrace hissing, puffy tails, and growling. Somewhat of this conduct is okay, but when it escalates to fixed hissing or growling, or if there may be any stalking (like they’re searching prey), cornering, swatting, or huge posturing shows of arched backs and fur puffed out, the cats must be separated.