Magui RF / Shutterstock
Bringing a brand new cat into your house shouldn’t be so simple as selecting the primary lovable kitten you discover. If you wish to be a pet dad or mum to one of many two million cats adopted from animal shelters every year, it is best to first take into consideration whether or not you’re capable of decide to the accountability of caring for a cat, financially and emotionally. If you’re, do your analysis to seek out the fitting cat for your loved ones, house, and way of life. Learn on to find out about what to think about when on the lookout for the finest adoptable cat for you.
What components ought to I contemplate when selecting a cat?
Each cat is completely different, so it’s vital to consider what you’re on the lookout for in a cat earlier than scouring on-line adoption listings. Under are just some components to think about.
- Age: A playful kitten would require extra supervision, whereas an grownup shelter cat may match higher for a busier way of life or a house with kids.
- Persona: If you would like a cat with a sure temperament, you’re higher off selecting an grownup cat, as kittens’ personalities are onerous to find out. Resolve if you’d like a cuddly and quiet lap cat or an energetic feline who will hold you busy.
- Exercise degree: A extra energetic cat will want frequent playtime and train, however if in case you have a busy schedule, chances are you’ll wish to select a calmer companion who doesn’t thoughts spending time alone.
- Temperament: Properties with kids ought to contemplate relaxed, easy-going cats. You probably have a quieter house, a shyer feline could also be a very good match.
- Breed: Many cats in shelters are combined breeds, but when their breed is understood, that data could assist provide you with some thought of their general temperament.
- Coat sort: Lengthy-haired cats are a bit extra high-maintenance, requiring frequent brushing to keep away from matting. If you happen to don’t wish to always groom your cat, choose a short-haired feline.
- Well being: Most cats in a shelter will doubtless have a clear invoice of well being, however make sure to ask the employees any questions on a cat’s particular wants or well being historical past.
- What if I’ve different pets at house? You probably have different cats or canines at house, be certain to decide on a cat who has interacted with these animals earlier than. Be ready to introduce your new cat to your present pets slowly and thoroughly.
How can I make sure the cat’s well being and medical historical past are in good situation?
The animal shelter or rescue employees is aware of their pets effectively and may inform you all a few cat’s medical historical past and present well being. Whenever you undertake a cat, the shelter will give you their full medical information so you understand which vaccinations your pet nonetheless wants and any prior well being points they might have. Make sure that to schedule an appointment along with your vet ASAP after taking your cat house to ascertain care and schedule their subsequent vaccinations.
How can I decide a cat’s persona in a shelter or rescue setting?
Earlier than you select a cat, it is best to take time to get to know any cat you’re involved in. Happily, many shelters and rescues have rooms the place you may spend time with cats to slender down your selections from all these candy faces. Comply with these tricks to be taught extra about selecting the correct cat for you, even in a shelter setting.
- Spend time with the cats: Go to with all adoptable cats to see which of them seize your consideration. Discover how every cat responds to you, and if there’s a specific cat that steals your coronary heart, see if the shelter has house so that you can spend one-on-one time collectively. Ensure you know choose a cat up earlier than making an attempt to take action.
- Ask questions in regards to the cats’ personalities and histories: Some cats get a bit timid when new folks are available in, however the shelter employees can inform you how they act once they’re most comfy and reply your questions on a cat’s background.
- Comply with your intestine intuition: You might know which cat is best for you simply by feeling a particular connection. Take note of and belief your instincts.
What if the cat’s conduct presents challenges after adoption?
How a cat acts in a shelter interplay could also be completely different from how they act once you lastly carry them house. Do not forget that each grownup cat in a rescue or shelter has a historical past and should take a while to really feel comfy. Use the following pointers to make sure that your cat has the most effective alternative to grow to be a cheerful, wholesome, and loving pet:
- Be affected person: Know that it might take your cat weeks and even months to adapt to their new house and life.
- Create a protected house to your cat: Arrange a room in your house that’s solely the cat’s house till each you and your cat are prepared for them to discover the remainder of the home.
- Spend time along with your cat: Your cat will inform you once they wish to be petted with a mild nudge of the pinnacle. Allow them to set the tempo to your interactions and spend time with them whereas nonetheless respecting their house.
- Take into account skilled assist: In case your cat’s conduct is simply too difficult to deal with by yourself, take into consideration consulting a cat behavioral specialist. You may also attain out to the shelter to ask for steering.
How can I guarantee a profitable long-term relationship with my new cat?
One of the best ways to create a constructive relationship along with your new cat is to begin off proper. Let your cat cleared the path in terms of interactions like petting and snuggling. Take note of their physique language and cues and ensure to satisfy all their wants, similar to feeding your cat a high-quality and nutritious diet, retaining their litter field clear, and offering loads of toys and playtime for psychological and bodily stimulation.
Take time to consider what you need in a cat and the way your pet will finest match into your house and household. Then, once you’re able to undertake, you may hold an eye fixed out for a cat that may really feel comfy in your family. And with endurance, time, and, in fact, love, you may assist your new pet really feel at house and luxuriate in the advantages of cats as pets for years to return.